A very easy Italian liquor to make. Personally, there is no other liqueur like it. Its the perfect after dinner drink, but its also great for making gin or prosecco cocktails with...
To make 2 litres of limoncello you will need:
- 1 x litre of 95% proof alcohol (can be bought online,)
- The peel of 12 good size unwaxed lemons
- 1 x litre of water
- 1 x kilo of sugar
- Peel the lemons, using a potato peeler or similar. You will not need the lemons or juice, so freeze them and make some lemon curd another time! 😜
- Place the lemon peel ONLY in a Kilner type jar with rubber seal lid (needs to be big enough to hold the litre of alcohol)
- Add the alcohol to the jar and seal up. Leave in a dark cool place (cupboard) for at least 7 days, a little longer ideally, if you can wait!
- When you are ready to start filtering; add the kilo of sugar to the litre of water in a pan on a hob and heat until the sugar is dissolved. This is basically your syrup. (It won't be thick like syrup you are used to, but it will look cloudy... this is how it should be)
- Let the syrup mixture cool completely
- In the meantime, remove all the peel from the alcohol by filtering into another container using a fine sieve. This will catch any small peel bits which are left over. Repeat the process if necessary until you have a nice clear alcohol mix. (it may look a little orange at this point... don't worry!)
- Next, combine the cooled sugar syrup to the alcohol mix and stir until everything turns a beautiful yellow colour.
- Finally, filter your finished mix into small bottles and keep in the freezer, it will not freeze due to the high alcohol content.
- Enjoy, ice cold 🤩
Disclaimer: We do not encourage underage drinking, or drinking in excess. This will be a strong liqueur and should be consumed in moderation. Strictly for adults only.